So, you have to be somewhere and you’re already getting late. This is where you start talking to yourself “what if I have my sandwich on the way? I can definitely save some time…” – You jump down the stairs, pack your bag and run to get the car keys and BOOM! The keys are locked inside the car and it seems like nothing can save you from being late.
Yeah, the picture is not a pretty one! But all is not lost. If you can manage to keep your cool, we believe you can still recover your keys and be on time…
The local locksmith will at least charge $50 to unlock the door but what if there is a possibility of doing it all by yourself? The locksmiths and towing companies have professional tools, which makes their work look seamlessly easy. With a few tools in hand and our guidance, you can save some bucks and a lot of time.
In this article, we will only focus on how you can unlock the car door yourself, without any assistance, and that too pretty quickly.
What Do You Need?
Most professionals use an inflatable device that can easily wedge the door open without doing any damage. Blood pressure cuff is one such device, which can withstand the pressure and do the job without getting ripped. Even if you don’t have it handy, you can borrow from the neighbors or friends.
Steps To Follow
Follow these simple steps to unlock the door and retrieve the keys within no time…
- Make sure that the blood pressure cuff is fully deflated.
- Insert the cuff in between the glass and the top corner of the door.
- Once you have slipped the cuff, begin inflating it until there is an opening created between the glass and the edge of the door.
- Make sure that you don’t over expand the equipment as it may damage the door or the glass.
- Release the pressure off of the cuff by placing something solid in the opening to hold the glass down.
- With the help of a thin metal wire, enter the opening and try to hit the lock to undo it. This step will take the most time, especially if you’re doing it for the first time – the rest is fairly easy.
Some Important Things to Keep in Mind
Getting the cuff into the door can be tough, so we advise all our key-less readers to be very careful while slipping the cuff inside and also while inflating it. Remember that a damaged door may cost way more than hiring a professional tow service.
If you’re too lazy to try things on your own, you can always go for one of the following approaches.
- Are all the doors locked? Kiss the gods if one of them is open
- Look for an alternative key.
- Figure out the roadside assistance
- Call a towing service
- Although not recommended but sometimes situations demand for breaking the side window to get inside the car.
Got a tip or experience to share? Please feel free to write your story in comments below.
Until Next Time…